Sunday, July 20, 2008

Deuteronomy 1:34

"And the LORD heard the sound of your words and was angry" NKJV

"And the LORD heard the voice of your words and and was wroth" KJV

"When the LORD heard what you said, he was angry" NIV

"When the LORD heard your complaining, he became very angry" NLT

Strongs H6963 Voice
kole, kole
From an unused root meaning to call aloud; a voice or sound: - + aloud, bleating, crackling, cry (+ out), fame, lightness, lowing, noise, + hold peace, [pro-] claim, proclamation, + sing, sound, + spark, thunder (-ing), voice, + yell



4 different translations, say partly the same thing. But I think that the NKJV and the KJV get to the heart of the matter. My words have sounds and a voice if you will. Tone is everything.

God heard not just the words, but the sounds and voice that they made. There is a praise song that one line is "let it be a sweet, sweet sound in Your ear"

What are the sounds and voice of my words doing to God? Is He eager to hear me speak? Or does He cover His ears?

What kind of tone are the sound and voice of my words leaving in God's ear? Is it a screechy sound like fingernails on a chalkboard, with my whining and complaining? Or is it a joyous sound?

It's not just the tone, it's the attitude also. Do I come before Him with the laundry list? Or do I just come before Him?

Something to stop and think about.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

I am so guilty of coming to God with ATTITUDE. I want what I want and am in no mood to accept anything different.

Usually God discourages that attitude with a spiritual smack upside the head... but sometimes He lets me make a mess of things first.

Missy said...

Hey Sallye -
I am responding to your comment.

I feel like I DO do that. i feel like I explain things to her, etc. This is what drives me crazy, when I say, for example today. Go to bed, your body needs rest because you have swim lessons this afternoon, you were very tired yesterday because you did not nap. Are you going to stay in bed? Ok good. Do not get out of bed, your body is tired. If you do, you will have a sad consequence. Ok? Ok.

Walk downstairs. Within 2 minutes she is out of bed and in her brother's bedroom.

Go upstairs. What did I say would happen if you got out of bed? I am sorry you made that choice. Now you get a spanking. If you get out again, you will get another spanking.

Go downstairs. Two minutes later, she is out in the hall again.

Another spanking. And now I will lock your door. So then she she kicks the door and screams bloody murder.

This is what drives me CRAZY!! Seriously, it puts me over the brink.

Got any suggestions for that one???

Lynn - JnL4God said...

Yeah You're still out there. I need to link you so I can easily get to your blog. Thanks so much for commenting I'm glad you're interested in the study. I'm going to use the book for sure and probably the study guide. Joyce's website is saying 2-4 wks for delivery Amazon has the book but not the workbook. I know of at least one person that won't be using the study guide (workbook) so I may be doing other things too. I'm so glad to hear from you I will keep you posted but I believe I will start around Mid August.
Blessings,
Lynn

debrah said...

I dropped by to again say thank you for your kindness and thoughtfulness.
Talk about voices...your post certainly speaks to me...what occurs to me is that my thoughts also have a tone and the Lord hears them as well...I treasure the moments I just come before Him...and wonder why don't I do this more often...sometimes it is just difficult to let go...but the Lord is so kind...a recent example for me was last night during our prayer service...I felt separated and couldn't enter into worship I couldn't even just step out and just sing...I sat down and brought it before the Lord saying I don't know what is going on here...it wasn't long before I just felt that the Lord was searching me and I felt at rest...I didn't hear Him speak anything specific to my heart other than rest...be quiet...
In His Love,
Debrah