Saturday, May 24, 2008

I AM so you don't have to be Lesson 4 prt 2

I AM so you don't have to be Lesson 4 prt 2

Background Reading:
Exodus 2:11-15
Acts 7:21-29
Hebrews 11:23-27

Key Verse:
"This Moses whom they disowned saying, 'Who made you a ruler and a judge?' is the one whom God sent to be both a ruler and a deliverer with the help of the angel who appeared to him in the thorn bush." Acts 7:35 NASB

Discussion Questions:
1. I am going to present to you a little acrostic to begin our discussion today. What is your latest NLIP? (Not Like I Planned?)
2. How did you react to your NLIP? Are you still upset about it? Happy about it? Baffled by it? Explain.
3. Have you ever attempted to step into an area of ministry and found your desire rejected? Did this cause you to question God and yourself? Perhaps distrust what you perceived to be your calling?
4. Do you harbor any bitterness towards any individual or situation which you believe waylaid your best laid plans?
5. Have you had a life experience or trial that left you with a shaken faith because it ended in an NLIP? Please share if you feel free.
5. Based on Moses' response of faith to his own rejection, how will you re-evaluate your own experiences or look at future ones differently if a NLIP presents itself?

I am going to answer these all as one and give a Sallye's history lesson at the same time.

Rusty and I have been in and out of church since I was saved in Oct 1982. Anyway we had begun in 2002 or so going to church and getting involved. Rusty was playing in the praise band, and I was greeting, ss class prayer leader, did my share of nursery duty, and prayer room during the service. Best friend Dona, who also attended this church and I both were seeing the people getting saved, but there was no disciple program. So we spoke to the assoc pastor, and he said find a program, get it to him to approve, find pupils and get after it. I was lead by God (this is a whole nother story) to NAV 2:7. We got it all together, found the pupils, got the room, and told assoc pastor we were ready to go. His response was ok find a man to teach it. You talk about shocked, surprised and disappointed..Then in an EE (evangelism explosion) class, Sallye made the mistake of saying she wasn't a denomination, that she was a Christian. Same associate pastor heard this statement, and next thing I know, all of my area's of service have been taken from me, I was not allowed to graduate with the EE class, and was told I was being given time to re-evaluate my church affiliation. Other words go away we don't want you anymore. I am a pot stirrer, and the pot at this church was already bubbling and I would have loved to have stirred..Praise God, Rusty, Brad, and Dona sat on me until the anger and hurt subsided.
So today I get way ugly with Rusty, and guess what this rears it's ugly head again to remind me that I have not dealt with any of it. Oh, I have said the words I forgive and let go, but when I see the associate pastor in public and the only thing I want to do is either spit in his eye or slap him in the face...

I don't know how many of you have seen the old bumper sticker for the NRA that said "You will get my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

That's how I feel about this I don't now how to let go of it. It's not the root of the uncontrolled anger, but a feeder.

This is me the good the bad and the ugly. I said when I started this that I would be real and this is as real as it gets.

Sallye

2 comments:

Michelle V said...

Sallye,

I'm so sorry that you had such a difficult church experience! I know there are many churches out there that are too legalistic about some things that they believe. That must have been so hard for you! I told you in a comment to your other post that I also have an anger issue with one certain individual, and I have to do my best to avoid that individual or I will take it right back up again! I try to forgive and let it go. I keep praying that God will help me with that. I will also be praying for you to feel true forgiveness and be able to let it go and let God.

Blessings
Michelle

GammySel said...

My dear Siesta-
I do hope you do not mind me responding to this situation. I am only being prompt to do so because of my own experiences of dealing with a similar situation. My prayer and heart is that you seek God, and then go and speak to this associate pastor on the hurt you have experience from his words.

I know this task will not be easy but if done with Christ, and your husband you might get released from it forever. It is definitely a way for Satan to keep you right where you are at, so you will not further your walk or testimony.

What a wonderful thing you had done in trying to get everything prepared for a Discipleship class. I have often stated that people are brought to Christ to flounder! Why because of the lack of discipleship. We are not a club, we are to be walking the walk, and talking the talk every day of our lives and if you have not been brought up with a foundation of Rock how do you learn how to walk??

May the Lord bring you peace in this situation and may you find the forgiveness that only can be given through Christ towards that associate pastor!

We love you Siesta!! May the Lord continue to work through you!
Angie- Your Struggling Floundering Siesta!!